The deadline of June 30, 2023 for persons seeking certification under the grandparenting process has expired.
Applications submitted on or before June 30 are being processed and are required to meet all the requirements below. See below or download the PDF to review the acceptable forms of documentation.
To be certified through the Grandparenting process, you must meet the following general requirements:
- Be at least 18 years of age.
- Possess a high school diploma or equivalent degree.
- Be self-identified as having experience with the process of recovery from a mental illness or substance use disorder, either as a consumer of these services or as the parent, caregiver or family member of a consumer.
- Be willing to share their experience.
- Have a strong dedication to recovery.
- Agree, in writing, to adhere to the Code of Ethics.
- Pass the certification examination.
In addition to the general requirements above, you must also:
- Be employed as a Peer on January 1, 2022 (paid or unpaid) and be employed as a Peer at the time of your grandparenting application, between January 1, 2022 and June 30, 2023.
- Have met the Peer Support Worker experience requirements (paid or unpaid):
- 1550 hours as peer support in 1 year
- 1550 hours in 3 years, with 500 hours completed in the last 12 months, working as a peer support
- Have completed any peer support training in the past
- Have completed 20 hours of Continuing Education (CE) Units in the past 2 years
- Inclusive of 6 hours of law and ethics training as part of the 20-hour requirement
- Provide three letters of recommendation
- One from a supervisor (on letter head)
- One from a professional colleague
- And one self-recommendation outlining your current role and responsibilities as a Peer Support Specialist
Acceptable Forms of Documentation
Requirement Acceptable Form(s) of Documentation
Be at least 18 years of age A photograph of a government-issued identification, such as driver’s license, identification card, or passport.
Possess a high school diploma, general equivalency degree (GED) or college degree Educational transcripts that state graduation date; or
diploma or GED or equivalent degree; or college education degree. (Certificates of achievement do not qualify)
Self-identify as an individual with lived experience, Peer Self-attestation through the on-line application process.
Be willing to share your experience as a person with lived experience Self-attestation through the on-line application process.
Have a strong dedication to recovery. Self-attestation through the on-line application process.
Agree, in writing, to adhere to the California Department of Health Care Services Medi-Cal Code of Ethics for Peer Support Specialists in California Sign an attestation through the on-line application process.
Be employed as a peer worker on January 1, 2022 (paid or unpaid) and be employed as a peer worker at the time of your grandparenting application, between January 1, 2022 and June 30, 2023. Letter from employer(s), on agency letterhead.
Applicants who have worked for more
than one agency during this time may
submit documentation from each
agency for verification.
Option 1: One (1) year paid or unpaid work experience with a minimum accumulation of 1550 hours of experience in a peer role
Option 2: Minimum of 1550 hours in 3-years with 500 hours completed within the last 12-months, working as a peer.
Must be one of the following (listed in no particular order):
– Pay stubs that list hourly wage and the year-to-date earnings for the year of 2022 or 2023 at the time of application, and the last two years (2020–2021 or 2021-2022) if they are equal to or greater than 1,550 hours
– A print-out from Human Resources which states either: the number of hours worked per year over the past three years, or states that the specific 1,550 hours requirement has been met in the past three years.
– A letter from a current or past employer on company letterhead that attests to:
a. Date of hire
b. Whether work status was full-time or part-time
c. How many hours worked per week, AND
d. That the specific employment hours requirement has been met by listing which requirement was met.
Applicants who have worked for more than one agency during the past three years should submit documentation from each agency that proves the 1,550 hour requirement has been met in the past three years listed above.
Applicants should not apply if they have not met the employment hours requirement at the time of application
Completed 20 hours of continuing education (CEs), including 6 hours of law and ethics IN THE LAST 2 YEARS from the date of application
CEs can be in relevant professional competencies obtained via relevant in-state, out of state or national educational forums. The 6 hours for law and ethics shall be considered part of the twenty (20) hour continued education requirement.
– Certificate(s) of completion of training(s); or
– Letter demonstrating proof of attendance of training; or
– Letter of accomplishment
Letters must be on company letterhead and shall include date of training, title of training, and number of hours participated in training.
*For acceptable courses for continuing education (CEs) and examples of law and ethics course elements that apply toward requirements please download the PDF.
Completion of a Peer training – Certificate(s) of completion of training(s) with your name and date of training, and training hours; or
– Letter or email demonstrating proof of attendance; or
– Certificate of completion; or
– E-Learning Transcript; or
– Letter of accomplishment on agency letterhead and including your name, date of training, title of training, and number of training hours.
Letters of Recommendation From a supervisor: Letter must be on company letterhead and must include your name, recommendation, and name of supervisor making the recommendation.
From a colleague or professional: Letter may be on agency letterhead and must include your name, recommendation, and their name and title.
Self-recommendation: Self-letter should describe the applicant’s current role and responsibilities as a peer. Letter must include your name and description of your current role and responsibilities as a peer.
Letter shall not exceed one page in length.
Download the complete document for more detailed instructions on the minimum requirements and the acceptable forms of documentation.