Initial Certification is the process for an applicant to become certified as a Medi-Cal Peer Support Specialist for the first time so long as they meet the eligibility criteria and successfully pass the state-approved exam.
After initial certification in accordance with this policy, each certified Medi-Cal Peer Support Specialist must renew certification every two (2) years.
Initial Certification Requirements
To seek Certification as Medi-Cal Peer Support Specialist an individual must meet the following qualifications:
1. Be at least 18 years of age.
2. Possess a high school diploma or equivalent degree.
3. Be self-identified as having experience with the process of recovery from a mental illness or substance use disorder, either as a consumer of these services or as the parent, caregiver or family member of a consumer.
4. Be willing to share their experience.
5. Have a strong dedication to recovery.
6. Agree, in writing, to adhere to the Code of Ethics.
7. Successfully complete the 80-hour training requirements for a peer support specialist through a CalMHSA-approved training entity.
8. Pass the certification examination.
Initial Application Process
Make sure you have the following documents in picture (.jpeg, .jpeg) and/or PDF format before you start your application.
- Government issued ID/License/Passport that shows you are over 18 years of age (Note: First and last name on the application much match exactly as it appears on your uploaded government issued ID)
- High school diploma/equivalency or other advanced degree
Please set aside 45-50 minutes to complete the application. To begin, click the yellow Register/Login button above. The application cannot be saved and must be completed in one session. The following steps will need to be completed:
- Application Registration – 5 minutes
- Introduction (mandatory) Video – 30 Minutes
- Complete application and upload verification documents – 5-10 minutes