Initial Certification is the process for an applicant to become certified as a Medi-Cal Peer Support Specialist for the first time so long as they meet the eligibility criteria and successfully pass the state-approved exam.
After initial certification in accordance with this policy, each certified Medi-Cal Peer Support Specialist must renew certification every two (2) years.
To view the fees associated with the certification process please view our Fee Schedule page in the Resource Library.
Initial Certification Requirements
To seek Certification as Medi-Cal Peer Support Specialist an individual must meet the following qualifications:
1. Be at least 18 years of age.
2. Possess a high school diploma or equivalent degree.
3. Be self-identified as having experience with the process of recovery from a mental illness or substance use disorder, either as a consumer of these services or as the parent, caregiver or family member of a consumer.
4. Be willing to share their experience.
5. Have a strong dedication to recovery.
6. Agree, in writing, to adhere to the Code of Ethics.
7. Successfully complete the 80-hour training requirements for a peer support specialist through a CalMHSA-approved training entity.
8. Pass the certification examination.
Initial Application Process
Make sure you have the following documents in picture (.jpeg, .jpeg) and/or PDF format before you start your application.
- Government issued ID/License/Passport that shows you are over 18 years of age (Note: First and last name on the application much match exactly as it appears on your uploaded government issued ID)
- High school diploma/equivalency or other advanced degree
Please set aside 45-50 minutes to complete the application. To begin, click the Register/Login button above. The application cannot be saved and must be completed in one session. The following steps will need to be completed:
- Application Registration – 5 minutes
- Introduction (mandatory) Video – 30 Minutes
- Complete application and upload verification documents – 5-10 minutes
Application Revision Requests
For applications requiring fees, additional documentation and/or are incomplete, applicants will be notified at least one time within the thirty (30) calendar day processing time from date the on-line application was submitted on the CalMHSA certification website.
- The status notification will include information on the steps required to complete the application.
- An incomplete application will be held by CalMHSA for ninety (90) calendar days from the date submitted on the CalMHSA certification website application portal.
- Applications that remain incomplete beyond ninety (90) calendar days after date of submission will be voided, fees will be forfeited, and will require submission of a new application, documentation, and new fees. It is the applicant’s responsibility to provide all missing documentation before the application can be processed.